Monday, April 30, 2012

Ottoman Empire

the first thing that i found of interest in the reading was the sheer size of the ottoman empire. I never learned about it in high school, so it is really surprising to me that such a large empire was left out of the curriculum. I can't help but wonder if there is some institutionalized islamophobia influencing our school systems. I had never even heard of the ottoman empire until my senior year, and even then it was only a passing reference. I think that an erasure like this just goes to show you how unreliable an education can be. It was extremely shocking to me considering the amount of influence the Ottomans had on the rest of the world even today. The advancements that were made in the fields of math and finance seem to large to me to be left out of the classroom, but they were. and that is very sad to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment